The holidays are almost here and that means it’s time to think ahead and strategize for upcoming holiday events where tempting foods are in excess. Avoid the 5 to 10 pounds that many Americans put on over the holidays by creating Holiday Survival Guide so you are prepared before the holidays arrive.
Here are some tips to help you plan for the holidays:
- Focus on being with friends and family rather than the food. Remind yourself that the holiday season is a time to reunite with good friends and family, share laughter and cheer, celebrate and give thanks.
- Eat protein before you go to a party. If you arrive hungry it will be difficult to abstain from off-plan foods. Enjoying a Thermo-Snack before the party will stabilize your blood sugar levels, decrease cravings and leave you with a full stomach so you will be less tempted to overeat.
- Bring an on-plan dish to holiday events. This way, you know that there will be something you can enjoy. Check out the many wonderful recipes found in the SlimGenics STEP in the Kitchen™ cookbook.
Try one of these delicious and healthy holiday recipes! These recipes can be doubled to serve at your holiday gathering or to bring to a friend’s event.
- 1 pkg. Vanilla Delight Shake/Pudding Thermo-Snacks®
- 6 ounces water
- 1 egg*
- 1/4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of nutmeg
- 4 ice cubes
Warm up by preparing this tasty treat at home. Combine all ingredients, except nutmeg, in a blender. Blend ingredients thoroughly. Pour into cups and sprinkle with nutmeg to taste.
Basil Cheese Spread
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons fresh basil
- 8 ounces 1% or 2% cottage cheese
In food processor or blender, combine spinach, garlic, green onion and basil. Process until almost a paste. Add cottage cheese. Blend until smooth. Serve with vegetables or Melba® Toast.
Makes 2 servings
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 cup mushroom caps
- 5 ounces crab meat, steamed
- 2 large celery stalks, minced
- dash or Morton Lite Salt
- dash of black pepper
- dash of onion powder
- 1 Melba toast piece, crushed
- 1 tablespoon milk
Combine all ingredients except mushrooms. Spoon mixture into mushrooms and bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown.
Mustard-Crusted Lamb Chops
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 ounces lamp chops (allow for more weight if chops are bone-in)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
Preheat broiler to high heat.
In a small bowl, combine mustards, vinegar, rosemary and garlic. Trim lamb of extra fat and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, then crust one side of each lamb chop with half of mustard mixture. Place on rack in broiler pan and broil for 4 minutes. Turn chops and top with remaining mustard mixture. Broil for an additional 3-4 minutes until medium-rare.
Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Vanilla Cinnamon Bread Pudding
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces 1% or 2% milk
- 2 packets stevia
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 slices bread (15g or less carb per slice), cubed
- pinch nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the first 5 ingredients together. Place butter on bottom of small oven-safe pot and spread it around. Place bread in pot and pour egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Place small pot in a larger pot of water. Place both pots in the oven.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center pulls out clean. Serve warm.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup 1% or 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Pinch Morton® Lite Salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
In a small saucepan, add enough cold water to sweet potatoes to cover them. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Drain. Add sweet potato to bowl of standing mixer (or use an immersion blender) with milk and butter. Mix until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Healthy Pumpkin Pie
Mix crushed Ak-mak® crackers with seasonings and set aside. Prepare Creamy Chicken Soup Thermo-Snacks® with water and set aside.
- 2 slices Melba® toast, finely crushed
- 2 packets stevia
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 packages Vanilla Delight Shake/Pudding Thermo-Snacks®
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
Mix together Melba® toast, stevia and water. Line bottom of small pie tin with mixture. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over Melba toast crust. Warm in oven.
*Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have a medical condition.