Buying foods when they’re in season is always a good idea – they taste better and it took less environmental effort to produce to food. Fortunately, there are a few foods that pique during the summer months that are also great for your waistline. During the summer, many areas will host farmer’s markets, which is a great place to get in-season fruits and vegetables that are also locally grown! Be sure to take this list of summer detox foods so you can stock up to slim down.
Top 5 Summer Fruits For Detox:
- Cherries have a high water and fiber content, along with anti-inflammatory effects that aid in weight loss. Additionally, they are high in antioxidants to fight free radicals and repair cell damage, and are linked to improved sleep! Keep a bowl of cherries in your fridge for the next time you’re looking for a sweet treat.
- Tomatoes have a very high water content, which helps to keep dehydration-related hunger at bay. With a high potassium content, they are also great for balancing a higher sodium diet, and can reduce bloating.
- Jalapeno Peppers contain capsaicin, which is the phytochemical that makes this pepper so hot! Capsaicin can help detoxify the colon, aiding in digestive functions.
- Raspberries are full of fiber and water – 2 things that promote detox and weight loss! Fiber-rich foods take longer to digest, helping you feel fuller for longer. Because raspberries contain insoluble fiber, they’ll also help keep the body regular, which aids in weight loss.
- Iced Green Tea – ok, this isn’t a fruit, but it definitely belongs at the table with the rest of the summer detox fruits! With antioxidants to fight against free radicals, and catechins which may help to reduce body fat (Wang H.), this is the perfect summer detox drink. For an added detox benefit, toss in a few frozen raspberries!
Stock up on your favorites from this list to add powerful detox foods to your summer meals! Instead of serving popcorn at your next movie night, try indulging in a big bowl of raspberries and cherries.
How will you use these summer detox fruits this week? Let us know on the SlimGenics Facebook page!
Wang H, Wen Y, Du Y, Yan X, Guo H, Rycroft JA, Boon N, Kovacs EM, Mela DJ. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010 Apr;18(4):773-9. doi: 10.1038/oby.2009.256. Epub 2009 Aug 13.