Diabetes is an ever-increasing epidemic throughout the U.S. With 21 million people having been diagnosed, another 9 million are not yet aware of their condition. Diabetes Alert Day, which was on March 24, was established to bring greater awareness to type 2 (preventable) diabetes.
To celebrate Diabetes Alert Day–a day dedicated to raising awareness of type 2 (preventable) diabetes.
The American Diabetes Association created this holiday as a “wake-up call” to Americans at risk of diabetes. The organization created the Diabetes Risk Test and urges everyone to take the test to find out if they are at risk for diabetes. SlimGenics is committed to providing information and education to help people better understand type 2 diabetes.
We’ve seen many clients overcome this obstacle throughout the years by losing weight, adopting healthier habits and learning to manage their health long term. In conjunction with Diabetes Alert Day, here are a few facts to consider:
- Currently about 1 in every 10 people has diabetes.
- More than 86 million people (1 in 3 adults) has prediabetes.
- Without weight loss and moderate physical activity, 15-30% of people with prediabetes will develop diabetes within 5 years.
- In 2012, diabetes cost the U.S. $245 million in total medical costs and lost work and wages for people diagnosed with diabetes.
- The risk of death for adults with diabetes is 50% higher than those without.
- In adults, type-1 diabetes only accounts for approximately 5% of diagnosed cases of diabetes.
- More than 5,000 youth were diagnosed each year in 2008 and 2009.
The good news is that it is possible to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes by losing weight, eating healthy, being more active and taking care of yourself. Take the Diabetes Risk Test to assess your personal risk of developing diabetes. Awareness is key to fighting this growing epidemic!
© SlimGenics, LLC 2014-2016